High school students in grades 9 – 11 can apply now for the second Cobb County Youth Commission. The program provides an opportunity to learn about the inner workings of local government, engage in civic affairs, and become leaders of change in the community. It is also a prestigious experience to add to resumes and college applications.
Applications and references are due no later than 5 p.m. on Aug. 18.
For the application, students need to provide a letter of recommendation from a community member such as a teacher, counselor, principal, religious leader, or community leader who has known the applicant for at least one year.
The program will include:
- Sept. 10: Youth Commission Opening Session and Orientation
- Nov. 17: Introduction to Cobb County Government Departments Part 1
- Jan. 26: Youth town hall meeting
- Feb. 16: Cobb Youth Commissioner Day at the State Capitol
- March TBA: Introduction to Cobb County Government Departments Part 2
- April 15: Culminating Service Project designed by the Youth Commission Class
- May 23: Graduation Ceremony
Students must be able to attend at least four out of seven activities. We encourage participation at all events. Students will also design a service project with fellow youth commissioners to benefit Cobb County.
There will be many opportunities to meet community leaders.
If you have questions, please contact:
Commission Chairwoman’s Chief Assistant, Olivia Simpson
Commission Chairwoman’s Executive Assistant, Janine Ramsay