Since 2009, Atlanta Lab Rescue (ALR) has been rescuing Labrador Retrievers and Lab Mixes from overwhelmed shelters and abusive situations and placing them in secure, loving homes. Atlanta Lab Rescue averages 35-40 dogs in the program at any given time, and in their first ten years, they have rescued over 5,000 dogs.
To help underwrite their rescue efforts, ALR is holding its fifth Annual Atlanta Lab Rescue 5K on Sunday, November 17, at Jim Miller Park/Al Bishop Softball Complex, 1082 Al Bishop Drive in Marietta. The 5k is the largest fundraiser for Atlanta Lab Rescue. The Atlanta Lab Rescue 5K is open to the community, including: children, strollers and dogs! Yes, runners are encouraged to race with their dogs. Participating dogs should be accustomed to regular exercise, well adjusted to crowds and noisy environments with large numbers of people and other dogs. Children under 7 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during the race and dogs must be on a leash at all times per Cobb County laws. To make this event enjoyable for all, participants must abide by the rules listed below:
1. Dog must be current on all shots and rabies vaccination.
2. Dog must wear an ID Tag. 3. No dogs in heat and no aggressive dogs.
4. Dog must be leashed (6 ft. max length) and in control. No retractable leashes please.
5. You must pick up after your dog.
6. A participant can have no more than two dogs under his or her control. Children must be at least 13 years old to participate with a dog without adult supervision.
7. Strollers are allowed in the race, but for the safety of our runners, they ask that anyone participating with a stroller to please start in the back.
The link to sign up is runsignup.com/Race/GA/Marietta/AtlantaLabRescue. The $30 early registration fee is good until October 13. After October 13 the race entry will go up to $40 and race day registration will be $40 for the 5K.
Additional information about the race is available at www.facebook.com/ALR5KFunRun.
Can’t participate or volunteer, but still want to help? Consider donating to Atlanta Lab Rescue at www.atlantalabrescue.com.